Application period for EPNS Fellowship 2020 is now CLOSED
Read on to learn about the new Aicardi Fellowship 2020 (announced at the EPNS Congress Athens September 2019)!
Purpose of the Fellowship: To create excellence by offering the opportunity for further qualification or experience in an area of paediatric neurology in terms of clinical practice or research. The fellowship must take place in a European Country; this is taken as the region for which the European Office of WHO is responsible http://www.euro.who.int/en/countries
Previous successful EPNS Fellows: https://www.epns.info/epns-fellowship-news/
Fellowship type: EPNS offers 3 types of fellowship in 2020:
- Clinical elective
- e.g. attending clinics, developing skills in EEG, EMG etc.
- Research project
- May be part of a thesis; basic or patient orientated research Learning a specific skill/ technique
- Aicardi Fellowship
- Professor Lieven Lagae who was presented with the Aicardi Award 2019, has kindly donated the prize fund to the EPNS fellowship scheme.
- This very special award will be given to an application which is of extreme quality
- Applicant should practice in Europe, but the fellowship can take place anywhere in the world, including somewhere outside Europe.
- The placement may lead to a publication in the EJPN and/or session at EPNS Congress 2021
Number of EPNS Fellowship 2020 available: 6, including the Aicardi Fellowship
Fellowship scope: 3-4 month’s fellowship in a specialised centre in Europe. (or outside Europe for the Aicardi Fellowship).
Fellowship budget: 5,000 Euros (7,500 Euros for the Aicardi Fellowship – available to one candidate).
- Location. The fellowship must take place in a European Country (this is taken as the region for which the European Office of WHO is responsible http://www.euro.who.int/en/countries (or anywhere in the world, including somewhere outside Europe for the Aicardi Fellowship only). One centre can only receive a maximum of 2 EPNS Fellows in one year. The fellowship cannot take place in the same country the applicant currently practices.
- Duration: 3-4 months. The fellowship MUST begin in 2020.
- EPNS membership. Candidates must have been an EPNS member for at least 6 months when the application period opened (the date the application period opened is 29/4/19), with the 2019/20 membership fee paid at the date of application. Currently it is possible to pay the 2019 EPNS subscription fee OR a combined 2019 AND 2020 EPNS subscription fee. It is not possible to pay the 2020 fee alone. If you have already paid the 2019 but not the 2020 annual subscription, EPNS members will be invited by email to pay their 2020 fee within the next few weeks. In the case that only the 2019 fee has been paid and the fellowship application is successful, it will be subject to approval only if the 2020 fee is received before 31 December 2019.
- Resident or young specialist (< 5 years after obtaining PN registration) of Paediatric Neurology. PhD students who are not PN or training for PN do not qualify. The scheme is targeted at those who are at the early stages of their training in the field of paediatric neurology.
- Fluent in relevant language of the centre which will be hosting the fellowship.
- Continuing a Fellowship. Candidates cannot use the EPNS fellowship to continue/supplement an existing/ongoing fellowship. This EPNS scheme is for new fellowships only.
- A fellowship is strictly personal and cannot be transferred to another person.
- If not successful, it is possible to re-apply for a fellowship.
- A fellowship can only be awarded to a person once.
How to apply:
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to locate and plan with their nominated host site. The EPNS will not become involved in this process. Eligible EPNS members who wish to apply for an EPNS Fellowship are welcome to contact any European Centre which meets the criteria of the EPNS Fellowship scheme. To help locate an appropriate Centre, a number of European Centres, subject to availability, would be willing to consider accommodating future EPNS Fellowships. Please visit this link for more information https://www.epns.info/potential-host-centres-for-future-epns-fellowships/
- Complete the Fellowship 2020 application form. :
- Send the completed application form to Sue Hargreaves at firstname.lastname@example.org together with the following documentation:
- Local supervisor consent
- Hosting supervisor consent which must include their declaration that the candidate is fluent in the locally relevant language
- Detailed Cost Calculation – candidates must complete: click here:
- A photograph of yourself
What happens after an application has been sent?
- All applications will be considered by the EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee members. This Committee consists of 5 representatives from the EPNS Board.
- All applicants will receive an email to tell them the outcome of their application by the by the end of December 2019.
How is the selection made? The Application Forms will be assessed using a standardised scoring system along with subjective impression. In order to be considered, candidates must meet or exceed the minimum criteria set by the EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee. Decisions made by EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee are final and are not subject to review or appeal.
What happens if I am successful?
- will have their photograph and details of their fellowship added to the EPNS website, included in EPNS communications and all EPNS social media platforms
- will be sent the funds for their Fellowship to a nominated bank account.
- will be asked to submit a questionnaire after their fellowship has been completed, signed by the hosting supervisor
Please email email@example.com with any enquiries