Application period for EPNS Fellowship 2021 is now open!
Closing date extended until 1 December 2020
Purpose of the Fellowship: To create excellence by offering the opportunity for further qualification or experience in an area of paediatric neurology in terms of clinical practice or research.
Previous successful EPNS Fellows: https://www.epns.info/epns-fellowship-news/
Fellowship type: the EPNS is offering 3 types of fellowship in 2021:
- Clinical Elective: e.g. attending clinics, developing skills in EEG, EMG etc.
- Research Project: May be part of a thesis; basic or patient orientated research, learning a specific skill/ technique.
- Aicardi Fellowship: This very special fellowship will be awarded to one application which is of extreme quality for either a clinical elective or research project fellowship (mentioned above). Applicants should practice in Europe, but the fellowship can take place anywhere in the world, including somewhere outside Europe.
Number of EPNS Fellowship 2021 available: six: usually three Research and three Clinical (one of the six successful applicants may be awarded the Aicardi Fellowship).
Fellowship scope: 3-4 month’s fellowship in a specialised centre in Europe. (or outside Europe for the Aicardi Fellowship).
Fellowship budget: 5,000 Euros per successful candidate (7,500 Euros for the Aicardi Fellowship – available to one candidate).
- Location. The fellowship must take place in a European Country (or outside Europe for the Aicardi Fellowship); this is taken as the region for which the European Office of WHO is responsible http://www.euro.who.int/en/countries One centre can only receive a maximum of 2 EPNS Fellows in one year. The fellowship cannot take place in the same country the applicant currently practices.
- Duration:3-4 months. The fellowship MUST begin in 2021.
- EPNS membership. Candidates must have been an EPNS member for at least 6 months when the application period opened (the date the application period opened was 9 July 2020), with the 2020 membership fee paid at the date of application.
- Resident or young specialist of Paediatric Neurology (PN), less than 5 years after obtaining PN registration. PhD students who are not PN or training for PN do not qualify. The scheme is targeted at those who are at the early stages of their training in the field of paediatric neurology.
- Fluent in relevant language of the centre which will be hosting the fellowship.
- Candidates cannot use the EPNS fellowship to continue/supplement an existing/ongoing fellowship. This EPNS scheme is for new fellowships only.
- A fellowship is strictly personal and cannot be transferred to another person.
- If not successful, it is possible to re-apply for a fellowship.
- A fellowship can only be awarded to a person once.
- Only one application per EPNS member is allowed per year.
How to apply:
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to locate and plan with their nominated host site. The EPNS will not become involved in this process. Eligible EPNS members who wish to apply for an EPNS Fellowship are welcome to contact any European Centre which meets the criteria of the EPNS Fellowship scheme. To help locate an appropriate Centre, several European Centres, subject to availability, would be willing to consider accommodating future EPNS Fellowships. Please visit this link for more information https://www.epns.info/potential-host-centres-for-future-epns-fellowships/
- Complete the Fellowship 2021 application form: CLICK HERE
- Send the completed application form to Sue Hargreaves at email@example.com together with the following documentation:
- Local supervisor consent
- Hosting supervisor consent which must include their declaration that the candidate is fluent in the locally relevant language
- Detailed Cost Calculation – candidates must complete: CLICK HERE
- A photograph of yourself
What happens after an application has been sent?
- All applications will be considered by the EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee members. This Committee consists of 5 representatives from the EPNS Board.
- All applicants will receive an email to tell them the outcome of their application by the by the end of December 2020.
How is the selection made? The Application Forms will be assessed using a standardised scoring system along with subjective impression. To be considered, candidates must meet or exceed the minimum criteria set by the EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee. Decisions made by EPNS Fellowship Selection Committee are final and are not subject to review or appeal.
What happens if I am successful? Successful candidates:
- will have their photograph and details of their fellowship added to the EPNS website, included in EPNS communications and all EPNS social media platforms
- will be sent the funds for their Fellowship to a nominated bank account.
- will be asked to submit a questionnaire after their fellowship has been completed, signed by the hosting supervisor
- It is the responsibility of the successful candidate to arrange appropriate insurance cover.
- The EPNS shall bear no organisational or legal responsibility for any aspect related to the fellowship, including correspondence with the host centre regarding logistics. EPNS shall bear no liability other than providing the agreed finance.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries